Skills and Training Opportunities:
We provide FREE training courses available to unpaid carers in Derby City. These will help you to gain new essential skills whilst being able to share knowledge and experiences with other carers.
Here are some of the skills and training courses we offer throughout the year:
– Emergency planning
– First aid
– Manual handling
– Welfare rights
First Aid Training – What is First Aid?
First aid is the medical term used to describe the immediate assistance given to a person suffering a minor or major injury or sudden illness. There are five main aims of first aid:
- Preserve life;
- Prevent an illness or injury from worsening;
- Promote recovery;
- Pain relief;
- Protecting the unconscious.
These can be remembered as the ‘5 Ps.’ It can include anything from performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) to applying a plaster to a cut or fashioned a sling to support an injured arm. First aid is conducted either to solve a minor injury or illness (so cleaning a cut and putting on a plaster) to keeping a person safe and alive whilst an ambulance is being called.
It can be a scary time when a person injures themselves or suddenly falls ill. It is therefore a good idea to be as prepared as possible and to enrol on a course that can provide you will the skills to cope during an unexpected accident or medical emergency.
The team at Universal Services for Carers therefore believe that it’s our duty to ensure carers are as prepared as possible for such circumstances and that knowing first aid will help them deliver the best and safest care they can.
Our free first aid training courses will therefore provide you will the following essential skills:
- Dealing with cuts, scrapes, grazes, burns, scalds and other minor injuries
- Managing various types of eye injuries
- Immobilising fractures, sprains and joint sprains
- Preventing choking
- Stopping excessive bleeding
- Helping unconscious patients
- Performing CPR
- Knowing the recovery position
Our courses are designed to give you the knowledge and confidence to manage emergency situations and to keep the person you care for safe during an episode of injury or illness whilst you wait for the emergency services to arrive or in the interim before a medical appointment.
We have First aid booked in from April 2022 till March 2023. Here are the dates for the times and dates of the sessions:
- 10:00hrs on Tuesday 26th April 2022
- 13:00hrs on Wednesday 18th May 2022
- 10:00hrs on Thursday 16th June 2022
- 10:00hrs on Friday 15th July 2022
- 13:00hrs on Tuesday 16th August 2022
- 10:00hrs on Thursday 22nd September 2022
- 13:00hrs on Wednesday 19th October 2022
- 13:00hrs Monday 7th November 2022
- 10:00hrs on Friday 9th December 2022
- 13:00rs on Wednesday 11th January 2023
- 10:00hrs on Thursday 16th February 2023
- 13:00hrs on Tuesday 14th March 2023
You can also request your free first aid booklet and or a first aid kit from our help-line. See below for more details.
If you are interested in a particular subject, we can organise the workshop. Just call us to see how we can help.
To learn more about our training opportunities sign up to our newsletter ‘Carers Monthly’ and Facebook page or simply contact us on: 01332 22877 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.